Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Skull Canyon NUC UEFI install

I was trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the Skull Canyon Intel NUC (NUC6i7KYK).

At first, I thought there was something goofy with the USB stick that I was using as the UEFI boot (F10) would see the stick but when I selected it as a boot device, it would just return me to the boot menu and apparently do nothing.  Tried different USB stick; tried different ways of building the USB stick; tried different USB ports; tried to update the BIOS (from 0041 to 0046).  No joy.

What ended up working was enabling the UEFI shell from the BIOS.  After booting into the UEFI shell, I could then specify the USB stick and then manually run \efi\boot\bootx64.efi.  Install worked fine after that.

2 comments:

Pereira said...

Thank you!

from the UEFI shell:
map - to list the connected devices
mount blk0 aaa - to mount blk0 as aaa
aaa:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi - to boot the installer

Pereira said...

Thank you!

from the UEFI shell:
map - to list the connected devices
mount blk0 aaa - to mount blk0 as aaa
aaa:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi - to boot the installer